Steam Train Experience
The Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway opened in 1903 to link the market town of Welshpool to the rural community of Llanfair Caereinion. Built as a Light Railway to avoid some of the costs of railway construction, the narrow gauge allows for tight curves and steep gradients, enabling the line to follow the contours of the countryside. Most of the trains are steam hauled, either by a unique original locomotive or one from abroad. The carriages too are special; those in regular use being from Hungary and Austria with access to the enclosed seating area via an open balcony - a great way to watch the world go by Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway offers a 16-mile round journey by narrow gauge steam train, through the beautiful Mid Wales Countryside. Throughout the year a number of special events are held, adding that extra little something to your train journey experience. Not forgetting the opportunity for your very own ‘Driver Experience’.
14.8 miles from MMFR: SY21 0SF
- The train runs through the Powis Estate, pheasant and deer can be seen and everywhere and there is a wide variety of wildflowers.
- The line follows a river valley, twists around a mill and runs through the middle of farms.
- The train takes 45 minutes to cover the 8-mile journey to Llanfair Caereinion
- Wheelchair Access
- Refreshments available from the Llanfair Caerinion Tearoom
- Toilet facilities available at both stations